Re: [opensuse] grub2 installation onto mdraid raid device
  • From: Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 17:18:13 +0300
On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andrei Borzenkov írta:
В Wed, 12 Nov 2014 17:01:11 +0100 (CET)
Istvan Gabor пишет:

Istvan Gabor írta:

Here is what I would like to do:
<I have a system with two linux OSs, both are installed on mdraid raid1. I
would like to install grub2 on the root partitions/devices of the given
OSs, and a grub2 on MBR. The MBR grub2 would only chainload the other
grub2 on the root partition. Is this possible, how?

Looking at it second time - why would you want it? What are you trying to
achieve? At >the end grub-install does exactly the same - it installs
mini-bootloader in MBR that >chainloads full grub from Linux MD boot
partition.

Thanks. Here is what I would lie to achieve:

Previously, when I used lilo or grub 1/legacy I always installed the boot
loader for the given OS on the root device of the OS. I installed another
instance of the boot loader on MBR. This boot loader only linked/loaded the
other boot loader on the root device. I lie this approach to make clear
separations of different OSs. The mbr boot loader only list major types of
OSs I can select. Eg:

openSUSE 12.2
openSUSE 12.1
openSUSE 11.2
Gentoo
Windows XP
Windows 2000

This bootloader would need to store configuration somewhere.
Configuration can be either embedded or stored on disk. Embedding
makes it more difficult to change configuration in the future.

Where was configuration of your MBR bootloader kept in the past?

I would suggest having dedicated partition for first-stage bootloader
and its configuration that can then be edited using normal editor.
This partition can be on Linux MD. Is it acceptable?