Re: [opensuse] Read-only NTFS Disks?
On 11/18/2014 04:18 PM, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
On 11/18/2014 08:23 PM, Lew Wolfgang wrote:
Okay, the concept of an NTFS filesystem living inside of an ISO filesystem makes
me dizzy. So as a lark I created an ISO file:

mkisofs -o test.iso <test-hierarchy>

This mounted fine loopback.

I then dd'ed it to a 1-TB disk:

dd if=test.iso of=/dev/sdg

and the disk then mounted fine as in:

mount /dev/sdg /mnt

and it is read-only!!!

Alas, Windows-7 can't see anything on the disk. The only choice
the device manager shows is to "format" the offending hardware.
Doesn't Windows always require a partition table?

Hi Berny,

Good point! I was thinking that since a CD/DVD with an ISO9660 filesystem
doesn't have a partition table, that a SATA with the same filesystem wouldn't
need one either. I'll try it again with a table.

Regards,
Lew