Re: [opensuse] Read-only NTFS Disks?
On 11/18/2014 12:28 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
So the procedure Lew used effectively formatted his /dev/sdg as a DVD.
Only that Windows doesn't handle it, or not directly. It might via
acetoneiso or whatever.

If it doesn't, the procedure would be something like:

mkisofs -o test.iso <test-hierarchy>
mkfs.ntfs /dev/sdg
mount /dev/sdg /mnt/somewhere
cp test.iso /mnt/somewhere/test.iso

And so I tried this, with the exception of putting the NTFS
filesystem on /dev/sdg1. (mkfs.ntfs complained about building
a filesystem on the whole disk)

Everything worked perfectly on the Linux side, but not on
Win-7. Windows was able to mount the NTFS filesystem and
it saw the test.iso file, but the only thing it would allow
us to do was to burn something to what it thought was a
cd-burner called test.iso. Windows is really dumb! I'm
going to have to research this further on the Windows side.

If I can get it to directly mount the whole disk as an
ISO filesystem I think I'd be home free.

Thanks for everyone's help and time. I think it's about
time to bug some Windows lists?

Regards,
Lew