Re: [opensuse] Firewall
On 2014-11-18 19:44, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 11/18/2014 01:01 PM, Bernhard Voelker wrote:

IF, and its an IF, the host sends a name to the DHCP server then it must
have been configured to do so. We're back to the issue of correct and
complete configuration. This doesn't happen by magic.

Magic aka YaST :-)

We're also talking about a DHCP server with this capability. If you are
running a lo end smb/home server with built in DHCP and DNS proxy that
isn't going to happen.

My cheap router does it :-)

In which case we've gor the question of why dynamic addresses, why not
static ones and static entries in the DNS?

It is easier to configure all addresses and network settings,
pseudo-dynamically, in the dhcp server. One central place. Then have all
the machines to autoconfigure.

But the Netgear "just works" and doesn't tempt me to fiddle and consumes
a lot less power. It also has a switch built in, which is nice. I got
it originally for the switch and used it with the IPCop f/w, then
thought "what the hell, why do I need the extra box". KISS.

Same here. But seeing the many capabilities my cheap router has, half of
them which I do not use, and some I would like it doesn't have. Perhaps
I could flash mine, but the router being a crucial part of my setup, I
do not want to risk breaking it without having a replacement.

...replacement which I may have: the old router. So flashing it is
something to consider at some point, specially after learning mine has
holes.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)