Re: [opensuse] Firewall
On 11/18/2014 11:57 AM, James Knott wrote:
On 11/18/2014 11:51 AM, Paul Groves wrote:
All of my devices hostnames are listed on my netgear router's
'Attached Devices' page. They all show their ip and hostname ie.
192.168.0.10 FREENAS, 192.168.0.16 linux.crv0 etc so my router is able
to resolve hostnames correctly but my opensuse computer cannot 'see'
these names from the router where all other devices can (inclusing
ubuntu).

Does it have a DNS server? If not, it still won't do what you want.
With Windows/Samba file sharing, you can find the computer you want by
browsing, because it announces it's presence. This is different than
specifying a URL to it./

I think its a different problem. Maybe.

If the opensuse machine cannot 'see' the DNS whereas all the other
(including other Linux) machines can it is most likely that the other
machines have an entry in /etc/resolve.conf that points to the router
whereas the openSuse one doesn't ---- or possibly the smb.conf doesn't
depending on how you are looking at it.

That would be the simplest, the most obvious explanation.

We're still back to the issue of 'operator intervention' filling in a
correct config entry.

The 'maybe' is that I too have a Netgear router and no, it doesn't have
a DNS server as such. But as Carlos said, it does have the ability to
cache and hand back (proxy?) DNS queries from the ISP. So there is some
ability, even if its not a full blown DNS server.

Sadly I can't flash this model with WRT.