Re: [opensuse] Firewall
On 11/18/2014 11:41 AM, James Knott wrote:
On 11/18/2014 09:52 AM, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
On 11/18/2014 02:25 PM, James Knott wrote:
And there's also STP on other than low end consumer gear. Also router
multicasts and more.

... which leads me to the question why the router couldn't/doesn't
do the name resolution?

It could, if it had a DNS server. Commercial grade routers from Cisco,
Adtran etc. do, as does my home router/firewall, which is just an old
computer running Linux.

All it takes to have a DNS server is a Linux box running dnsmasq, which
is a caching DNS server. It reads a file, usually /etc/hosts, for local
hosts and forwards requests for Internet hosts to the DNS server you
normally use.

Yes, but somebody still has to generate that hosts file and load it into
the router. The router doesn't magically go out and ask every IP device
what its name is, what its aliases are. And anyway, the devices may be
signing White Knights, and I don't mean "in satin".