Re: [opensuse] Firewall
On 11/18/2014 09:52 AM, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
On 11/18/2014 02:25 PM, James Knott wrote:
And there's also STP on other than low end consumer gear. Also router
multicasts and more.

... which leads me to the question why the router couldn't/doesn't
do the name resolution?

It could, if it had a DNS server. Commercial grade routers from Cisco,
Adtran etc. do, as does my home router/firewall, which is just an old
computer running Linux.

All it takes to have a DNS server is a Linux box running dnsmasq, which
is a caching DNS server. It reads a file, usually /etc/hosts, for local
hosts and forwards requests for Internet hosts to the DNS server you
normally use.