Re: [opensuse] Firewall
On 2014-11-18 15:52, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
On 11/18/2014 02:25 PM, James Knott wrote:
And there's also STP on other than low end consumer gear. Also router
multicasts and more.

... which leads me to the question why the router couldn't/doesn't
do the name resolution?

They might, but they don't.

Home class routers don't have a DNS server that you can configure, not
that I have seen. They just act as cache for the ISP provided DNS, so
that automatic network setup (dhcp) works. That is, they are forced to
implement that feature.

Configure names somehow is not a feature they are forced to have, and
people don't ask for it, as "it works in Windows".

Maybe one of the free flashable firmwares out there provides it. Dunno.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >