Re: [opensuse] btrfs (with subvolumes) & raid-1 setup
On 11/18/2014 08:47 AM, Gour wrote:
I'd like to replicate this setup with Suse as well, but, if I'm right,
the installer in 13.2 can't do it?

The other option, which I used when installing Debian, is to install
Suse on single disk and then clone it and add to raid-1 array.

Any hint?

I don't know about the clone/raid; if it worked on Debian it will
probably work on Suse.

I *have* tried and succeeded at installing suse on a single disk with
just /boot and swap as primary partitions and BtrFS for the final
partition and nothing else.

The difference between what you describe and what the installer led me
too is

* the ROOT FS is implicit, not a subvolume
* I had subvolumes for /home, /usr, /var, /tmp and /.snapshots

I later screwed things up by noticing that a subvolume was -
functionally - like a subdirectory so why, I though, bother with the
/etc/fstab entries? POOF! And no problems! So why have subvolumes at
all if I'm not mounting them?

POOF! Problems.
They **ARE** like subdirectories.
Remove subvolume is like "rm -fr" !!

So I went back to my old way of doing things with LVM.

But the "cant do it" is not so.
At best you will have to tell the installer not to format the existing
partition (and possibly not to try and create any more). But the
partition manager part of the installer is quite capable in 'manual' mode.

HOWEVER...
Installing suse is going to overwrite your system.
Isn't that the whole point?