Re: [opensuse] Konsole disappearing

On November 18, 2014 3:50:57 AM EST, Werner Flamme <werner.flamme@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Am 17.11.2014 um 23:02 schrieb John Andersen:
On 11/17/2014 12:47 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Werner Flamme
<werner.flamme@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greg Freemyer 2014-11-17 19:26:

But i doubt you could grep /var/log/ (as you mentioned in
another post) and find any useful info since logs are all binary due to
systemd.

I must have fixed that "feature", or maybe it isn't true of
upgrades.

# file *.log messages warn
Xorg.0.log: ASCII text
alternatives.log: ASCII text, with very long lines
boot.log: ASCII text, with CRLF, CR line terminators,
with
escape sequences
[... a.s.o.]

No, my friend, these are only duplicates :)

Duplicates that I can and do grep. :)

Assuming the binary copies exist to maintain a solid authentication
capability, I think the combination of authenticatable binary logs
and
human readable text logs is just about perfect for me.

Thanks
Greg

Yes, but In my case, there is no human readable one, except for a few
things
that appear not go go through a few things...

oulsbo:/var/log # file *.log messages warn

Xorg.0.log: data

alternatives.log: ASCII text, with very long lines

boot.log: ASCII text, with CRLF, CR line terminators, with
escape sequences
kdm.log: ASCII text

pbl.log: ASCII text

snapper.log: ASCII text

wpa_supplicant.log: ASCII text

messages: cannot open `messages' (No such file or
directory)
warn: cannot open `warn' (No such file or directory)

This is from a fresh install, not an upgrade.

Why do you think so? I also have those files (well, most of them), and
did not do a fresh install, but upgrades since about oS 11.2. But even
after a fresh install (laptop, VM), rsyslogd is running and providing
several plain text files inside /var/log/ directory.

I think he was basically complaining about messages and warn not existing on
his box while I had them on mine.

Greg