Re: [opensuse] Read-only NTFS Disks?
On 11/18/2014 01:28 AM, Lew Wolfgang wrote:
On 11/17/2014 01:52 PM, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 17/11/14 a las 18:34, Lew Wolfgang escribió:

Is there some kind of an immutable read-only flag in NTFS that
might be twaddled if mounted on Windows?

NTFS supports file permissions/ACL too, you could recursively set all
files read only to everyone.

Files/directories created in an NTFS filesystem are 777 and can't
be changed with chmod. Chown doesn't work either.

As Cristian said ACLs, the command in question would be chacl ...
however, the mount command on my 13.2 box doesn't recognize the
'acl' option:

$ mount -t ntfs -o loop,acl img tmp
'acl' is an unsupported option.

ACL support doesn't seem to be compiled into:

$ /usr/bin/ntfs-3g --help 2>&1 | sed -n 2,3p
ntfs-3g 2014.2.15 external FUSE 29 - Third Generation NTFS Driver
Configuration type 1, XATTRS are on, POSIX ACLS are off

Attributes may work - this is the best I could find about it:
http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-advanced/extended-attributes/

BTW: you didn't mention how the customer is mounting the drives.
If it's on Linux, too, then those attributes won't do much.

Have a nice day,
Berny