Re: [opensuse] Firewall
On 2014-11-17 22:16, Paul Groves wrote:

when I use ubuntu, mac os 10.10, and windows 7 and I type
https://freenas or smb://freenas (or with \\ for Windoze)
ftp://freenas or ping freenas it works perfectly fine but not with
openSUSE. I have to type the IP address. As mentioned it is something
I have noticed since 12.3 when I switched to SUSE.

It is a feature.

For "names" to be accepted, something has to do the conversion. The
standard method is to set up a domain name server (DNS).

But not in Windows.

It is a feature of Windows networks that you can reach machines by name,
automatically apparently. Linux doesn't do the same, but you can
configure samba to work similarly. If I recall correctly, this is done
with a wins server. Try:

wins support = Yes
name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast

in "/etc/samba/smb.conf" (unless there is another machine doing it; then
use "wins server = ...whatever"). Then, probably, when using samba
protocols (smb://, ) names may work. For http, I doubt it.

Read this:

http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/samba/book/ch07_03.html

7.3 Name Resolution with Samba

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)