Re: [opensuse] Read-only NTFS Disks?

On November 17, 2014 7:57:45 PM EST, Lew Wolfgang <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On 11/17/2014 03:07 PM, John Andersen wrote:
On 11/17/2014 01:34 PM, Lew Wolfgang wrote:
There are also external forensic analysis write-block
boxes that can be used, but I don't think the customer wants to
go that far.
That isn't all that far to go these days..... $60 USD.

http://www.satadrives.com/forensic-usb-3-0-ide-sata-adapter-with-write-protection.html
Downside is that it is USB, which slows transfer.
Oh, wait, a cheaper source

http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/usb-3-0-to-ide-sata-adapter-with-write-protect-selection.html

The problem is, a 2TB drive is a very attractive thing, and someone
needing to
backup something in a hurry is likely to grab one and attach it
somewhere without
any blocker interface box, and you are in the same problem.

There is probably no way to prevent a determined person from
violating his
boss's directions not to over-write the disk.

This idea may have merit. Certainly anyone with physical custody of a
device "owns" it, but it does remove the accidental "fat finger" file
delete
factor. Greg: have you used these? Do they really block write
access?

Yes, they block writes. They also do enable smartctl queries which some of the
higher end units block. I like having smartctl work even in the presence of a
write blocker.

I have used them with opensuse with no problem, but I do NOT mount the drive at
all. I just access the drive via dd.

I've had a little problem using them with Windows where I try to do the
equivalent of "mount -r", but Windows doesn't really comprehend a read only
drive.

Have you said what OS your client is using?

Greg