Re: [opensuse] Konsole disappearing
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 17:09:26 -0500
On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 4:12 PM, Anton Aylward
<opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/17/2014 03:42 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Anton Aylward

How do each of these methods turn out for you?

First, the die'ing of konsole has only happened twice that I can
remember in weeks of using 13.2 beta/RC/gold.

Hmm ... Beta .... Hmm...

The most recent occurrence was last Friday. I had been running Gold
for a week at least at that point.

I always start konsole via alt-f2 - manually type konsole. (I know,
menus are nice, but I rarely use them when I can just type instead.)

I never ... Ok .. Later.

I'm not in kindergarten, I get to decide if I use menus or not. :)

"alt-f2 - type app name" is what I do in linux.

In Windows, I do "windows-key - type app name"

You should try it that way sometime. You don't even have to touch
that strange thing they call a mouse.

I start firefox by clicking on the icon on the main VT. I rarely ever
use any of the other VT screens.

VT screen, yes ..

(I do use the virtual consoles routinely (cntrl-alt-F#), but those
consoles have not died. It is just Konsole that has disappeared on me
a couple times.)

What's with "VT **consoles**" ???
Are those the same as VT screens?

Surely you know the old fashioned consoles. I believe they are
formally called virtual consoles. No X or KDE involved.

If you don't know what I am talking about, enter control-alt-F2 and
see a simple little login prompt pop up after a few seconds. I use
the virtual consoles heavily. They have not experienced any
unexpected issues running 13.2.

If you can't handle pure text mode, control-alt-F7 should get you back to X/KDE.

The "OK later" is that I have six of them

#1 is devoted to full screen thunderbird
#2 is devoted to full screen firefox
#3 is devoted to full screen konqueror file manager
#4 is devoted to full screen Konsole with 4 tabs

I *NEVER* start any of those from alt-f2 or from the geeko menu.
I never need to.
The come up when I log in and that KDE config is saved when I shut down.

Sometimes I start things from the CLI in #4 and move them to #5 or #6.

I have simple needs. Mostly one VT with firefox / Konsole and
multiple virtual consoles 90% of the time.

The last time it happened, I think I had 2 konsole windows going and 4
or 5 konsole tabs. All of it went away in a single stroke when I
started firefox.

Now "2 console windows" could mean two INSTANCES of the program Konsole.
Or do you mean you had 2 VTs?

note: I said konsole, you said console. Not the same thing. konsole
is a KDE app. console implies X is not in use.

Specifically:

I entered alt-F2 and launched Konsole. Then from the file menu of
konsole I selected "New Window" once and "New Tab" a few times. I
think I had one konsole window with 4 tabs and one konsole window with
1 tab. I think that is all a SINGLE INSTANCE of konsole, but I don't
know.

All of that was on a single VT. I ran like that for hours as I was
writing some bash scripts. I think I did a hibernate and wake-up
cycle. I'm sure I started and killed firefox on the same VT a couple
times.

Then one time when I only had the 2 Konsole windows open I started
firefox and both of my Konsole windows disappeared.

fyi: I have no idea why you think all this detail is helpful, but now you know.

What went away? I hope you mean you have 2 Vts with a single instance
of the Konsole program running set with 5 tabs.

No the VT was still there. The Konsole windows had disappeared, but
now I had Firefox running. I did look on the other VTs to see if I
somehow had just moved things around. No the Konsoles were gone.
Further, I looked in ps -ef output and the konsole program was not
running.

Did you start the FF in the same VT?

Yes, just one VT used for everything X related. Virtual Consoles used
for pure text work.

Can you replicate any of this in the current - non beta - version?

To repeat, it last happened on Friday and I was running 13.2 gold.

Greg