Re: [opensuse] Read-only NTFS Disks?
On 11/17/2014 04:34 PM, Lew Wolfgang wrote:

Does anyone has any suggestions besides finding a new customer?
Is there some kind of an immutable read-only flag in NTFS that
might be twaddled if mounted on Windows?

I think he is mis-stating his problem.

You say he has the bad habit of not making copies of his data.
That's his real problem.
And its HIS problem, not yours.

What he _needs_ is
EITHER
to have you ALSO supply impermeable copies
(at an extra charge, of course)
OR
archive all his data so he doesn't have to back it up
(at an extra charge, of course)
OR
to change his habits
(but then you don't get to charge him extra)

Its the fact that he has the disk that's making him think in terms of
the disks being read only, which is laziness (as in he don't have to
make the effort to to back up copies) or avarice (he doesn't want to pay
you to make copies or archive the data) on his part.

Of course you could change everything and supply him with the data on
tapes with the r/w tab set to ro. You can then charge him for installed
the tape reader (and software) at his end (which also cover the cost of
it at your end).

In case you were wondering, yes I had a customer similar to this once.
I explained to him that the approach he wanted wasn't possible and
presented the kind of alternatives (without the extra comments) as
above. He couldn't make up his mind; continued with what we had for a
while then one day told me he'd found someone else who said he could do
it. Less than a year later I got a call from that 'someone else'
asking for a reference. I called the (ex-)customer and learnt that this
someone else had not in fact done what was asked and managed to loose a
LOT of data and almost put the guy out of business.