Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 13.2 and old xp computer
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 16:33:42 -0500
On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 4:00 PM, Anton Aylward
<opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Carlos E. R.
On 2014-11-17 20:37, jdd wrote:
Le 17/11/2014 19:44, Carlos E. R. a écrit :

On the other hand, the solution your friend suggested, creating a /boot
partition is correct. But I would create it with ext2 (two). Although no
need to shrink /windows, it can be anywhere. Even a logical partition
works.

Is ext2 always available? It was my first idea, but i think I have read
than not every system read it :-(

Of course it is available. I do not know of any openSUSE system
incapable of using it.

I think the question implies something not true. Let me re-phrase:

- Q: Is the ext2 filesystem driver always available in mainstream linux
kernels.

- A: No, the functionality of the ext2 driver has been incorporated
into the ext4 driver, so many kernels now only include the ext4
driver. Of course it provides full backward support so there is no
loss of functionality due the ext2 driver being missing.

In general only kernels that don't include the ext4 driver should
include the older, less well maintained ext2 driver.

About the ext2 driver being _available_:

Have a look at /proc/filesystems, or possibly at the /lib/modules for
your your kernel.

The fact that the later extN filesystems incorporate the functionality
of the earlier ones - backward comparability - has nothing to do with
the availability or not of those earlier drivers in (possibly as
modules) for the kernel.

In particular, although I have the ext4 driver, I *ALSO* have the ext3
and ext2 drivers *available*

It looks to me as if the extN driver are compiled in to the kernels I have.

On my 13.2 machine:

grep -i ext2 /boot/config-3.16.6-2-desktop
# CONFIG_EXT2_FS is not set
CONFIG_EXT4_USE_FOR_EXT23=y

Looks like the ext2 driver is not compiled in.

What about ext3:

grep -i ext3 /boot/config-3.16.6-2-desktop
# CONFIG_EXT3_FS is not set

Not it either.

If you want to have those drivers with a opensuse kernel you need to
recompile the kernel as far as I know.

Greg