Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 13.2 and old xp computer
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:27:28 -0500
On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Carlos E. R.
On 2014-11-17 20:37, jdd wrote:
Le 17/11/2014 19:44, Carlos E. R. a écrit :

On the other hand, the solution your friend suggested, creating a /boot
partition is correct. But I would create it with ext2 (two). Although no
need to shrink /windows, it can be anywhere. Even a logical partition
works.

Is ext2 always available? It was my first idea, but i think I have read
than not every system read it :-(

Of course it is available. I do not know of any openSUSE system
incapable of using it.

I think the question implies something not true. Let me re-phrase:

- Q: Is the ext2 filesystem driver always available in mainstream linux kernels.

- A: No, the functionality of the ext2 driver has been incorporated
into the ext4 driver, so many kernels now only include the ext4
driver. Of course it provides full backward support so there is no
loss of functionality due the ext2 driver being missing.

In general only kernels that don't include the ext4 driver should
include the older, less well maintained ext2 driver.

Greg