Re: [opensuse] Konsole disappearing
Greg Freemyer 2014-11-17 19:26:

But i doubt you could grep /var/log/ (as you mentioned in another post) and
find any useful info since logs are all binary due to systemd.

I must have fixed that "feature", or maybe it isn't true of upgrades.

# file *.log messages warn
Xorg.0.log: ASCII text
alternatives.log: ASCII text, with very long lines
boot.log: ASCII text, with CRLF, CR line terminators, with
escape sequences
[... a.s.o.]

No, my friend, these are only duplicates :)

The original log from systemd's log daemon part (daemonic log part?)
writes to /var/log/journal/<$longid>. Plus it feeds the standard syslog
interface, so that rsyslog also gets the messages and spreads them in
various log files outside /var/log/journal/ :)

So, up to now you have text files as well as the binary versions. Maybe
one day journald will stop feeding the syslog interface, who knows?

BTW, in /etc/systemd/journald.conf you can tell journald how much space
it may gobble up...

Regards,
Werner