Re: [opensuse] Really irritated
On 11/14/2014 02:02 PM, Bjarne Örn Hansen wrote:
Den 2014-11-14 19:49, John Andersen skrev:
An excellent unfiltered rant. Bravo.

I gave a fair warning :-)

I offer this as helpful information, not as a counter-rant.

You have control of baloo, by several means:
1) uninstall through Yast or zypper
2) go to Config Desktop, and add areas (partitions) that should be excluded
4) Uncheck the checkbox on that same page to turn indexing off all
toghether
5) Less documented, but more powerful:
edit /home/[username]/.kde4/share/config/baloorc
and adjust settings to exclude file types and locations you don't want
indexed.

It's this (4) and (5) that I'm having problems with. Why should I have to
look for means to turn
#poor idea# OFF... I should be looking for means to turn it ON, if I'd want
it ... I'd probably want
to ristrict this wild HOG, not merely to partitions ... but down to
"individual" directories. All
the way down to Documents and Pictures folder, and the like ... not my entire
file system.

I think you will find it is by default restricted to /home.

It is further restricted to not indexing many different file types, and you can
add other restrictions.

https://community.kde.org/Baloo/Configuration

Where you can get into trouble is if you keep boat loads of stuff in your home
working directory.

I can see both sides of the issue of having it on by default or having it off
by default.
God knows we've been round and round this issue on this list.

It would seem to me that the more massive the amount of data and files you have
on your system
the more likely you are to need it And until the arrival of baloo when we were
struggling with
that miserable nepomuk, I was fully in agreement that it should be off by
default.

But I've found the impact of Baloo very minimal, and the time it takes for the
first index
was also very minimal, and it pays for itself the FIRST time you have to grep
for content
in any file, or even search for a file by name.