Re: [opensuse] Upgrading 13.1 > 13.2
On 11/10/2014 10:59 AM, jdd wrote:
Le 10/11/2014 15:30, Anton Aylward a écrit :

As laptops are getting thinner one of the losses is a DVD drive. (the

but an external usb drive is around $20 (and dvd's are much cheaper than
usb keys)$

notice that in my experience, usb keys are *much* more reliable than dvd's

It depends on how you do the accounting.

A stack of 50 DVDs costs about the same in my local computer discount
stores as a 16G USB stick. Or a little less than an el-cheapo 32G SD
card on ebay.

Since I've arranged so much of my FS in 5G partitions they map nicely
onto the DVDs. Since some are a good deal less than 5G occupied I can
often put 3 or 3 on a DVD at present. In a years or so of growth that
may change. But then again, I may do some pruning.

So for less than $10 I have a year's worth of backup media.

BACKUPS ARE NOT ARCHIVES

http://www.factorydirect.ca/Canada-Ontario-/Recordable_Media/Dvd/Dvd-R_Rw/HP0165/_Hp_16X_Dvd-R_50-Pack_Media_0637668040156/0

or even

http://www.factorydirect.ca/Canada-Ontario-/Recordable_Media/Dvd/Dvd-R_Rw/TD2268/77000014686___77000010676___77000010522___77000011218___77000012268_Tdk_16X_Dvd-R_100-Pack_Media_020356485207/0

that's C$15 for 500G of storage.

if I go for the no-name media it works out even cheaper.

Now of you are talking ARCHIVE storage as opposed to backup of last
iteration or two for disaster recovery, then that's another matter.
Thanks to "the race to zero" archiving to the Cloud makes more sense.

Heck, at $50 for a 1T drive its almost worth using rotating rust for
archives. Image your drive and put the result in a bank vault ...
that's pretty near as cheap as bulk DVD.

So the investment in a USB DVD writer makes sense.
Among other things.