Re: [opensuse] Upgrading 13.1 > 13.2
On 11/10/2014 02:26 AM, lynn wrote:
On 10/11/14 00:14, James Knott wrote:
On 11/09/2014 05:47 PM, John Andersen wrote:
Seriously, I just don't know why that would be.
I'm old school, and burned a dvd and didn't worry about a net connection
till it was done.

I'm installing from USB pen drive, but that shouldn't make any
difference. I also have installed without worrying about a network
connection in the past.

Unless you're an expert, the only way to do it and keep all your
configurations is from the dvd install. Boot and choose upgrade. You can
only go online after the upgrade finishes. This really is a pity when
you see Ubuntu with a one click upgrade with everything coming from
Internet after each new release.

No argument with that!

As laptops are getting thinner one of the losses is a DVD drive. (the
plethoa of USB ports is another loss.) Being able to install or update
from a USB stick as effortlessly as we used to - or some of us who have
the PMA and lap-cat software did) - with the DVD (and memtest and do
maintenance) is getting increasingly important.
You are right. Suse used to have one of the nicest installers, even the
dreaded ZD-Net reviews used to admit that.