Re: [opensuse] UPS : replacing battery with 12 volt Jelly Car Battery
On 11/04/2014 09:26 AM, ellanios82 wrote:
On 10/28/2014 12:29 AM, jdebert wrote:
Although
you needn't worry much about overcharging when replacing a small
battery with a BIG battery.

- thanks : very satisfied . . . works a charm :)

regards

Actually, I did this and ruined a set of batteries in two years. You have to match the cell voltage with the charger. Wet cell batteries, AGM, and gel cell all have different charging voltages/ cycles, they don't vary that much, but when I hooked up two 130 Amp/h wet cell deep discharge batteries to my UPS, it would over charge them. The next batch I used were AGM and I adjusted the charger in the UPS to match the batteries. They have lasted seven years now and are still going strong. I get at least four or five power outages a year here so mine get used a lot. You can find the correct voltage in the battery manufactures specifications. The worst thing you can do to a lead acid battery is to over charge it, O
begin:vcard
fn:Robert Cunningham
n:Cunningham;Robert
org:Kettering University;Physics
adr;dom:;;1700 University Ave.;Flint;Michigan;48504
email;internet:rcunning@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Sr. Physics Lab Coordinator/RSO
tel;work:810-762-7935
tel;fax:810-7627830