[opensuse] PNG Lib problems

evidently there is an old png format that seems not compatably with a
vast number of png files and the gimp and my new 13.1 set up gives me
this error

** (file-png:3590): WARNING **: Error loading PNG file: IDAT: invalid
distance too far back

I have hundreds of images created with tools in opensuse that produce
this error now. I'm open to suggestions on the best way to procede.

the gimp is using the following libs
workstation:~ # lsof |grep gimp|grep png
gimp 4410 ruben mem REG 8,2 23200
6041673 /usr/lib64/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so
gimp 4410 ruben mem REG 8,2 247768
5134738 /usr/lib64/libpng16.so.16.6.0

Zypper show that I have quite a few libpngs in the system, all attached
to different imaging programs

workstation:~ # zypper search libpng
Reading installed packages...

S | Name | Summary | Type
--+-----------------------------+-----------------------------------+-----------
| libpng12 | Library for the Portable Networ-> | srcpackage
i | libpng12-0 | Library for the Portable Networ-> | package
| libpng12-0-32bit | Library for the Portable Networ-> | package
i | libpng12-compat-devel | Development Tools for applicati-> | package
| libpng12-compat-devel-32bit | Development Tools for applicati-> | package
i | libpng12-devel | Development Tools for applicati-> | package
| libpng12-devel-32bit | Development Tools for applicati-> | package
i | libpng14-14 | Library for the Portable Networ-> | package
i | libpng15-15 | Library for the Portable Networ-> | package
| libpng16 | Library for the Portable Networ-> | srcpackage
i | libpng16-16 | Library for the Portable Networ-> | package
i | libpng16-16-32bit | Library for the Portable Networ-> | package
| libpng16-compat-devel | Development Tools for applicati-> | package
| libpng16-compat-devel-32bit | Development Tools for applicati-> | package
i | libpng16-devel | Development Tools for applicati-> | package
| libpng16-devel-32bit | Development Tools for applicati-> | package
| libpng16-tools | Tools for Manipulating PNG Images | package

Two issues: If the images are really broken then can I fix them enmass
If the images current format is likely to be covered into the far future, then
how do I fix the libraroes reading pngs?

Ruben