On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 12:56:31PM +0200, Andreas Mahel wrote:
On 30.09.2014 00:33, Dirk Gently wrote:
So. how is the script getting interecepted and replaced with a systemctl
command,
when there is NO mention of systemctl anywhere in the cron start/stop
script?

Actually, from your more fact oriented and less emotional posts in the
past I would have thought that you'd have figured that out by yourself
by now.
On the other hand, as it might be of interest for more people, here is how:

The SysVInit scripts are being "intercepted" by /etc/rc.status. This
script has been extended to first check if systemd is installed, and if
the script qualifies for being handled by systemd directly. If yes, the
process is switching to systemctl:
exec /bin/systemctl ${SYSTEMCTL_OPTIONS} $1 "${_rc_base}"

which is the point I was making all along. It doesn't use the damn
scripts. It translates them as 'units'

While this is in fact not the prettiest solution, and makes it a little
harder to find out how this works. On the other hand, as I see it, this
mechanism exists only for backward compatibility reasons,

that is right. The ultimate goal is to have everything swallowed up.

and actually
provides an elegant way to allow the software packager to provide both
SysVInit scripts and systemd units, which can be used with either init
daemon without change (so actually, there's no need to touch existing
and working SysVInit scripts at all).
However, if systemd is being used as the init daemon, systemd will be
used to start the service.

I do apreciate the clarification.

/Andreas

--
Cahn's Axiom:
When all else fails, read the instructions.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com