On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 06:36:15PM -0400, Dirk Gently wrote:
Sam M. wrote:
Some more education about Systemd: https://access.redhat.com/videos/403833

Oh, now we have to waste even more time watching videos to manage this pile
of crap...

that I agree with.

Hint.. if your init system needs fucking VIDEOS for people to understand
waht's going on, then
guess what...it's too fucking arcane and complicated for what an INIT system
is supposed to be doing.

that I don't necessarly agree with. The video part, that I agree with.
the complexity ... eh. the scripts that run sysV are masterworks
written by very advanced shell script authors. I know shell scripting.
It has taken years to learn shell scripting decently. I wish those
siystem start up scripts were written in perl. They are hard to
understand and they are intertwined with many system files which make
them further difficult to understand.

that being said, I can replace any of them fairly quickly and i have.

The more you work with systems, the more you learn and despite the
idioacracy of Anton, there is more to learn that a lifetime worth of
time makes available. There is always learning.

The is NO FUCKING WAY you can learn what you need from systemd with a
video. I'm old, and strangly enough, before systemd we learned to both
read and write. Well you can't fucking read a binary log file and you
are sure as hell going to have a tough time rewriting systemd (process
1). I don't want to spend the rest of my life chasing this peice of
garbage.

The problem with systemd is that has simplified NOTHING and it is even
more complicated than the shell scripts. And there is nothing you can
do to make it work. It is sitting there between you and your box,
acting like a trafic cop, and you have to have the mind of a
beaurocrat to even begin to uderstand what it is doing.

fundmentally, at the end of the day, I screem too often at computers...

DO IT BECAUSE I SAID SO...

I don't need this thing between me and my hardware.

Ruben