Anton Aylward wrote:
On 09/28/2014 04:00 PM, Lew Wolfgang wrote:
claims that it "boots faster". If
indeed it does boot faster, where's the return-on-investment cost
analysis?

q.v.
"boots faster" was never an objective; it was something that emerged
from rationalizing the boot process.

Bullfucking shit.. That was the ORIGINAL JUSTIFICATION -- under the idea
that "booting will be faster if we allow initialization programs to be
run in parallel rather than sequentially, and detecting as soon as all
of an initialization function's prerequisite requirements are met...."

So, be a grown up, and stop lying.

This is beginning to sound just like the KDE 4.0 bullshit... And we all
know how that turned out -- AS PREDICTED, KDE 4 wasn't really ready for
prime time until the 4.10 release, as predicted, in the time-frame of 2-3
years on down the road.

If you want to be picky about it, Linda has also 'rationalized' the boot
process in a quite different way. She has made the point that you can
boot without using initrd, and that too 'boots faster'.

It's not a rationalization. The whole reason for compressing initrd was to
make sure it would fit on a 3.5" floppy.

When's the last time you even had a system with a 3.5" floppy installed?

When I can't even go to the store and purchase a SOLID STATE USB MEMORY STICK
that small, the rationalization for initrd is over.

O. V. E. R.

In fact if you read item #2 at
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Optimizations/
you'll see that removing initrd is valid method of speeding up boot
regardless of use of sysvinit or systemd.

Getting rid of initrd would eliminate a lot of potential hangups, like
having to re-mount root, having a compressed kernel which needs to be
un-compressed to load and run, etc.

Both the time and the need for initrd is long gone.

MAYBE if we started running into issues with not being able to fit
boot-up on a CD... or heaven forbid, not fit on a DVD, then there might
be a reason to revive it... But as of right now, all it really does
is add complications and pitfalls without adding any benefits at all anymore.