Hello,

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014, Felix Miata wrote:
Ruben Safir wrote on 2014-09-28 04:32 (UTC-0400):
It just needs to to store information so that the machine can BOOT
and then mount all mount pointed listed in fstab

And what exactly do you think is responsible for unmounting at shutdown time?

RTF init-scripts. E.g. /etc/init.d/boot.localfs (prior to systemd[0]).
The "stop" case, if you're wondering. My, my, my. I think I begin to
understand why so many people jump on the systemd-train. Because
they've never ever had even a cursory look at the init system... And
never ever understood even the basics[1]. But what systemd* now has
grown into, a warped bunch of binaries and libs, that just makes me
shudder, cringe and regurgitate.

Basically, a simple 'umount -a' should do the trick, as mount knows
(from /proc mounts / /etc/mtab) what to unmount in what sequence. And
yes, I can manually mount some iso to somewhere and it gets cleanly
unmounted on shutdown/reboot.

You do NOT need to track stuff. 'mount' and/or the kernel already do
that for you.

But noooo, pottering along had another NIH moment and had to
reimplement stuff.

-dnh

[0] I'll gladly put the one from oS 12.1 on paste.opensuse.org,
if you're unable to find it

[1] myself, I've always disliked an initrd with a vengance, but,
knowing the basics, it was clear, that a distribution supposed to
"run everywhere" has to use an initrd. So far, so good. No
worries. Trouble is, when you _MUST_ use an initrd to boot. Or
MUST provide some systemd crap ...
If I'd actually puked as much as induced by systemd and stuff,
I'd now probably weigh -500lbs or less.

--
A feature is nothing more than a bug with seniority.
-- Unknown source