On 09/28/2014 07:34 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:
Do you need a rundown
on how inittab works? It works by running, spawning something and then
goign away.

No it doesn't.

Inittab is a configuration file.
It is read and interpreted by the init daemon.

You are confusing the action determined by that table with the actual
table itself.

Init never goes away. The subshells it forks in executing the shell
scripts in /etc/init.d may go away, but so what? If I were to run them
manually from the command line with a subshell that subshell would go
away on completion just as with any other script being executed.

Well that's not quite true; that's only true if its a shell script. If
its a perl or ruby script there's no subshell :-)

--
/"\
\ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign

--
Me...a skeptic? I trust you can prove that.