Lew Wolfgang wrote on 2014-09-28 15:04 (UTC-0700):

This all reminds me of the old quote, "No man's life, liberty or property
are safe while the Legislature is in session." Most times the best course
to take is to do nothing.

Those of us who objected, or were unaware, when the decision was made to
adopt systemd, did too little to stop the decision from being made. The power
to overcome resistance to change was stronger.

I still don't know why systemd is needed.

Not enough resources to overcome the inertia. The barn door's been open and
the fences down far too long for reversal to be an option, even if that was
what the majority of doers wanted. The doers get what the doers want. The
others get to watch. Their complaints mostly fall on deaf ears.

What was so badly broken that we need, basically, a new operating system?

If systemd bothers you so much, maybe its time for you to switch to BSD,
PCLinuxOS, Slackware or Gentoo, before they too make the choice to make
systemd the only init option, then work harder to prevent that from happening.

Maybe you could collect enough complainers, turn them into doers, and fork
11.4 or 12.1 into a systemd-free distro. With a big enough group, maybe the
money to make it viable could materialize.

Good luck with anything else.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/