Ruben Safir wrote:
On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 04:59:31PM -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:
>On 09/25/2014 04:05 PM, michael norman wrote:
> >Goebbels.
>
>Among quite a few other from about that time.
>Yes, it was a time of ranting mad-men who held great political power,
>the world over.
>

> >OT but the technique still works.
>
>Sad but true. Despite better informed and more sceptical media, despite
>the Internet and and despite debunkers, there are still, at all levels
>of society, throughout the world, those espousing nonsense and those who
>would rather believe than than approach things rationally.
>
>I recall in the 1960/70s there was Eric von Daniken and the cloud of
>belief in "Ancient Spacemen" to explain away the pyramids and other
>great historic works. How insulting this was to our ancestors. But
>while it's easy to speculate, disproving such takes work, and that work
>*has* been done. Palaeolithic re-enactors have raised menhirs and
>archaeology have uncovered the living quarters and quartermasters
>records of the workers who built the pyramids. It takes no budget to
>write unfounded fiction, but a lot of time, effort and hence budget to
>do serious, documented, methodical archaeological work.

Really, that is quite a rant having zero to do with any topic.

>But just as with systemd, there are those who refuse to face evidence
No, that is not a rational resposonse. The problems with systemd are
deep and multiple and have beeen discusseded and can be rehashed. But
it is not a "fiction" that systemd has absorbed a large number of
segments of the gnu system and has broken compatability with said
systems as well.

The fiction is that there is a need to replace the init system at all,
and it can take all day and all night to go through the rationality for
even needed to replace it at all, let alone allow monolithic behemoth
take over everything from getty processes, login programs, serial port
emulators, logging systems, fs system mounting, device recognition and
kernel module loading, X11 startup and logging, initiation of databases,
webserver, programming environemts including cores...and this might just
be the tip of the iceberg. It is a damn nightmare, really. Then on top
of that, it is evidently written like such pure crap that Linus had to
run its developers off the kernal mailing list.

Its not a refusal to face 'evidence'. It is being dead set against ONE
PROGRAM being resonsible for so many different aspects of the systems
operation, and making the system so damn hard to understand, alter and
to use.

I couldn't give a damn if this systemd was laced with pure gold and
blessed by Barrack Obama himself. I don't WANT this thing running my
computer, which is what it does and which is a LONG WAY from an
innovation or a replacement for sysVinit. Taking the vast majority of
system controls and cludging them all together as a single monolithic
program is not "New" or "innovative". It just SUCKS and it is why I
dumped other OSs previously.

And on top of all of that, ever since systemd was introduced, the
performance of my laptop dropped like a rock, and has never recovered.