On 09/23/2014 11:02 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:
Is there any way of ditching systemd and putting sysv back into
the system scripts

ruben

Technically - yes, in the real-world - no. Regardless of the learning-curve, you just have to bite the bullet and make friends with systemd. Did I want to do it - NO. Did it suck a bit - Yes. After paying the price am I satisfied that systemd is the right way to go - Yes. With freedesktop.org behind it, it is the way of the future, like it or not. So, here it's a "can't beat em', so join em' deal".

What made it less painful were several aliases that cut down on the damn repetitive typing of 'systemctl long novel of opts' or 'journalctl same long stuff', so I cheated:

I have the following saved as '~/cnf/bashrc-systemd.inc':

## systemd aliases

## list systemd services & enabled services
alias lsd='ls -1 /usr/lib/systemd/system/'
alias lsde='ls -1 l1 /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/'

if test "$UID" -eq 0 ; then
alias sc='systemctl' # cut down typing
alias scn='systemctl --no-pager'
alias scdr='systemctl daemon-reload'
alias jc='journalctl'
alias jcn='journalctl --no-pager'
alias jcnl='journalctl --no-pager --full'
alias jcnlf='journalctl --no-pager --full -f'
else
alias sc='sudo systemctl' # cut down typing
alias scn='sudo systemctl --no-pager'
alias scdr='sudo systemctl daemon-reload'
alias jc='sudo journalctl'
alias jcn='sudo journalctl --no-pager'
alias jcnl='sudo journalctl --no-pager --full'
alias jcnlf='sudo journalctl --no-pager --full -f'
fi

I just source it in my ~/.bashrc as follows

[ -r "/home/david/cnf/bashrc-systemd.inc" ] && \
. /home/david/cnf/bashrc-systemd.inc

Cutting down the typing really helped focus the learning on systemd rather the frustration of typing the lengthy commands over and over.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.