On 09/24/2014 10:39 AM, Ruben Safir wrote:
On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 08:40:17AM -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:

/snip/

You can not trust 'engineers' with the decision making power over your
system because they tend to have fundementally flawed views of what is
and is not acceptable use and design for technology. The use and
implementation of technology is, as a fact, a social and political
question, and not a technological one. Never the less, despite rants to
the contrary, a huge number of individuals didn't wake up on a Tuesday
morning and just decide to "attack" the project of systemd. There is
REAL cause for rejecting systemd. But the number one reason is that,
aside from it being un-unix like, for whatever that is, but it is a huge
POWER GRAB. A large number of well understood and well working tools
have been absorbed in one fell swoop by systemd. Now that might be fine
is say, postwar soviet East Germany, for my GNU system in NYC, I don't
like it and I really don't like needing to needlessly relearn the root
of the system to wrap it around this huge white elephant.

That being said, I didn't ask this question to debate the merits of
systemd, as few as there are. I'm not interested in systemd any more
than I'm interested in Aqua, or Internet Explore and .Net. I've already
made my decision about the merits and lack of merits of the program and
I would like to remove it from my system, if I can.

Ruben

/snip/

I wonder why more of those who are making a big fuss about "A large number of
well understood and well working tools have been absorbed in one fell swoop
by systemd" are not looking into the proposed uselessd?
I am not a programmer, but I think I understand the line I just quoted, and I
think I understand the general thesis of uselessd, which is to solve that
problem,
while keeping such merits as systemd has. It would seem to me to be a
reasonable approach, and a compromise that even the staunchest supporters of
the present systemd might be willing to accept, when it becomes more fully
developed.
I would hope that those reading here who are programmers/developers would
look into uselessd and assist in its finalization.

--doug