  • From: Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 11:00:59 +0400
On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Dirk Gently <dirk.gently00@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

/etc/inittab replaced by
config files with dozens to hundreds of indecipherable, undocumented lines
for even the simplest initializations

Please, do "rm -rf /etc/init.d" and reboot on any distribution that is
based on sysvinit. By your own word, nothing under /etc/init.d is
needed - only single file /etc/inittab.

some weird mechanism which intercepts

$ /etc/init.d/[someservicename] restart

If such mechanism did not exist, you would complaint about
/etc/init.d/[someservicename] restart not working.

and somehow maps it to some random-looking "systemd" command....

so the /etc/init.d structure is still there, but nothing there is actually
meaningful....
which then just confuses the fuck out of everything

Oh, so /etc/inittab was not enough? You still need /etc/init.d/with
dozens of shell scripts with indecipherable, undocumented lines for
even the simplest initializations?

process 1, init, .. an extremely short program, so short that it NEVER
needs to be updated (and also takes exteremely few CPU cycles), is replaced
by systemd, some big huge executable, which is a CPU hog, and sometimes
needs
to be replaced.... thereby causing an IMMEDIATE NEED FOR A REBOOT.

Really? I restart systemd routinely. I did not need to reboot. What am
I doing wrong?