Anton Aylward wrote:
On 09/24/2014 12:47 AM, Dirk Gently wrote:

Sievert and Poeetering's attitude is -- we can do whatever we can get
away with and
force on the rest of the community.

Just like UTS did with what we now call 'sysvinit' back at the start of
the 1980s.

UTS init didn't replace a well-understood mechanism with some unholy horrorshow
forcing administrators to essentially learn entire new languages (look at the
systemd config files... the legal syntax is almost as complex as C, and is
certainly much more complex than any assembly language I've ever programmed in..

And none of the shit is documented.

All UTS did was MODERATELY extend the existing init architecture by adding
runlevels.

UTS did a lot of things that were contrary to the vision of UNIX that
Dennis had.
Semaphores, for example.

Semaphores aren't in SysVInit...

By the way, SysV-like runlevels were ALSO introduced in contemporary (early
1980's)
versions of BSD, which did NOT have semaphores.