Re: [opensuse] Entity Relationships Tool
  • From: John Layt <johnlayt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 10:22:19 +0100
On 21 September 2014 01:17, Ruben Safir <ruben@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I need an entity relationship designer tool, if there is one available
on opensuse through the repositories. I don't see one. Supposedely
Oracle has one but I'd rather not mess with Oracle if I can.

There is someothing like this, but it might be built for postgres

https://github.com/pgmodeler/pgmodeler

I don't see it in the repositories anyway.

or this
http://www.codebydesign.com/

Try mysql-workbench, sure it's MySql/Oracle but it is in the repos and is
probably the most powerful free ER tool I know on Linux, and it runs fine
with the Maria client. I don't think Maria or any of the other forks have
decided to fork it yet.

Otherwise, in addition to Umbrello there is also the venerable Dia for the
Gnome inclined, but it really only draws boxes, or if really desperate then
Calligra Flow or LibreOffice Draw can do the shapes as well.

I too would love to see pgmodeler packaged in OBS, hint hint to the
packagers :-)

OSA is a new one to me, I might have to have a play, but it does appear to
be a dead project? Uses Qt (good), but last commit in SourceForge
repo was 8 years ago for v1.9? While the website has binaries for v4.0
dated 2005 and talks of a replacement project for release in in 2013?
Doesn't look good to me.

More Googling finds a couple of free Java apps that would be easy enough to
install:
SQL Power Architect, open source but Freemium,
https://code.google.com/p/power-architect/
SQL Developer, closed source, http://sqldeveloper.solyp.com/index.html

And a hoard of for-pay or not-even-close apps.

John.