Re: [opensuse] Interpretation please **THANKS TO ALL**
On 12/09/14 12:17, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Thursday, 2014-09-11 at 17:17 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

However, I am replacing both drives this coming weekend to be on the safe side - and will then send the test results to Seagate to get their comments. Depending on what they state, I will either keep the HDDs as backups or "shred" them.

AFAIK, there is nothing wrong with them, but they are not new.

Sorry for not replying before now - but I didn't want to before I had tried out the new HDDs.

As I mention in another thread, I collected a couple of new Seagate (Constellation CS 1TB) HDDs last weekend, and earlier today I mounted them, booted with the 13.1 Rescue Disc, and ran 'smartctl -a .....' against each one.

Now, these HDDs are "untouched by human hands, and are virgins" :-) - ie, uncontaminated by being formatted, are straight from the factory via the computer shop - and yet the HDDs have readings of-

sda : 40,624 Raw_Read_Error_Rate and 73 Seek_Error_Rate

sdb: 40,232 Raw_Read_Error_Rate and 105 Seek_Error_Rate

Both HDDs show that each was started twice - once at the factory I would assume and then when I started them for the above test.

This indicates to me that these figures for Seagates - as I think it was you who suggested this - is normal.

However, I will send to Seagate the smartctl tests for the HDDs re which I started this thread to ask them what Seagate think of the figures.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.14.0 & kernel 3.16.2-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor