Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (982 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse] Something changed some KDE items which were previously displayed - *UPDATE*
On 18/09/14 17:03, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 17/09/14 16:36, John M Andersen wrote:
On 9/16/2014 11:16 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 17/09/14 15:37, John Andersen wrote:
On 9/16/2014 10:26 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
f something in the System Settings got corrupted I cannot check because I do not have the System Settings
Alt-F2
type systemsettings
hit enter

Is something supposed to happen? All I get is a text file with headings-

[Applications]

[Favorites]

[KRunner]

[Krunner] [PlasmaRunnerManager]

[RecentlyUsed]

with a list of items under each heading.

BC


You are supposed to see the systems settings screen, the same way you would it that option appeared
on your menu.
Almost all parts of KDE can be launched by commend line, which is what systemsettings is supposed to do.

Last evening, some 20 hours ago, I did the 'zypper.....' act. There were quite a number of updates to files.

After I rebooted the system...... the menu to SHUT DOWN, RESTART, LOCK SCREEN reappeared - and all these options worked! Even Dolphin's feature of CONVERTing graphic files (eg, from *.png to *.jpg) was back!

However, there still is no SYSTEM SETTINGS in the Kickoff menu.

BUT there is now another unwanted consequence: the little menu which appears in every running application on the top RH to Minimise/Maximise/Close (the v/^/x ) an application is gone! (One of closing any running application is to use the QUIT in FILE in its Menu Bar.)

Several minutes ago I booted up the system (after doing some testing on the new HDDs) and found that there were ~90 updates to 13.1 (I always run 'zypper.....' after booting the system).

All the ~90 updates were done and........guess what? I bet you won't believe me.... but all the missing "v, '^', x" [Minimise, Maximise, Close] were *back*!

Nothing was done to the system - except to install these latest updates (via zypper).



Somebody playing the game of "Silly Buggers"?


Your system seems quite broken,

I feel that it is a combination of factors - and something to do with the alterations to the repo structure and what goes into the repos with the changeover to the use of Factory/Current/<old_repo_naming> - for want of a better way of describing what is occurring. For this reason........

and it would seem the best way to fix it at this point
would be a forced re-install of KDE.

........would be the way to go for me (especially as I now have the new HDDs) but just in case what you say.......


I'd double check your repositories to make sure they are
the correct ones for your version.

........is the cause of my (sudden, I have to say) hassles, here is a list of my repos which I have enabled (and their Prioriry Levels) which I am using for this installation of 13.1:

http://susepaste.org/522679

I would be grateful if you (?anyone) could look at the list and tell me which one(s) are not kosher.

BC


BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.14.0 & kernel 3.16.2-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor
16GB PC14900/1866MHz Quad Channel RAM
Gigabyte AMD3+ m/board; Gigabyte nVidia GTX660 GPU


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To contact the owner, e-mail: opensuse+owner@xxxxxxxxxxxx

< Previous Next >