Re: [opensuse] recording flash audio output with pulseaudio
On 16/09/14 21:21, Istvan Gabor wrote:
Basil Chupin írta:
On 16/09/14 02:08, Istvan Gabor wrote:
Hello:

I want to record flash audio output on my hard disk as wave file.

Up to now I have done by running the command

pacat --record -d alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.monitor | sox -t raw -r
44100 -s -L -b 16 -c 2 - "output.wav

This records not only the flash output but every sound sent to the speakers
including desktop effect sounds etc. It is also sensible to the volume, that is
the recorded sound's volume depends on the volume sent to the speakers. Because
of this I can't change the speaker output volume when recording.

Fortunately I found a solution:

https://en.opensuse.org/User:Gnyers/RecordFlashAudioOutput

This gives instructions how to record the flash audio only:

1. Create a virtual stream
For a clean recording without any "contamination" from other audio sources
create a dedicated virtual stream
$ pactl load-module module-null-sink sink_name=FlashPlugin

2. Find out the Sink index of the Flash audio output. Look for the
'plugin-container' binary
$ pacmd list-sink-inputs | egrep 'index:|sink:|application.process.binary'
index: 0
sink: 0 <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo>
application.process.binary = "plugin-container"
index: 503
sink: 0 <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo>
application.process.binary = "mplayer"
In this case: INDEX=0

3. Move the audio output of the Flash plug-in to "FlashPlugin", the dedicated
stream.
pactl move-sink-input $INDEX FlashPlugin

4. Record the "FlashPlugin" sink
uncompressed wav:
parec -d FlashPlugin.monitor --file-format flash-audio-output-capture.wav

This works well, but when I apply the 3rd command (pactl move-sink-input) the
sound is redirected and can't be heard on the speakers, I can not monitor what
I record.

How could I record and monitor the recorded sound simoultaneously?

Another question: how can I move the audio output back to the speakers? The
instruction doesn't say it.

Thanks,

Istvan
Do you have pavucontrol installed?

Basil,

I have puvucontrol and I (try to) use it. But I could not find how to do what
I want with pavucontrol. Even setting the output volume is problematic. For
example even if I move the sliders the change is not reflected below in the
output level indicator .

I tried to get information from pulseaudio documentation (man pages) but it is
a kind of incomplete. The pulseaudio web-page and wiki is even worse. For
example if I use the command:

pactl list short sinks
0 alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo module-alsa-card.c
s16le 2ch 44100Hz RUNNING
1 FlashPlugin module-null-sink.c s16le 2ch 44100Hz IDLE

Where can I find the meaning of the different columns? I could not find it in
the pulseaudio man poages (man pulseaudio, man pactl)?

Is there somewhere a detailed howto, manual or other doc for pulseaudio?

Thanks,

Istvan

I really do not know the answer to the problem you are having with your sound because my sound needs are different and I as I don't have any hassles I have had no need to go "fiddling".

But I can offer the following: why are you having to do scripts to run your sound? Do you know which sound card/chip you have and isn't it supported by openSUSE's install process? I gave a Creative Sondblaster and during installation the correct driver for it was installed.

The other thing- have you run 'alsamixer' (in terminal, command line, as normal user) to view and set the available channels for your sound card/chip? NOTE AT THIS POINT: pulseaudio used to stuff up the output from 'alsamixer' and you only saw 3 or 4 channels displayed; for example in my case by uninstalling pulseaudio I would then see all ~12 channels instead of only 4 with pulseaudio installed. (After you have set the channels for your sound card then you can re-install pulseaudio if you really need pulseaudio.)

Lastly, there is some documentation - but I haven't read it - for both pavucontrol and pulseaudio in /usr/shar/doc/ .

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.14.0 & kernel 3.16.2-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor