Re: [opensuse] Running e2fsck to check ext4 files system **THANK YOU EVERYONE**
On 06/09/14 04:32, David Haller wrote:
Hello,

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014, Basil Chupin wrote:
So what you are saying is that the old and trusted 'e2fsck' performed
on a system by going to level #1 is now no longer a working
proposition and that one needs the Rescue DVD/schtik to do this check
of the file system? :-) .
Press 'e' on the grub entry, add

init=/bin/bash

at the end of the "linux" line. You'll end up in a bash.

mount -o remount,ro /
e2fsck -v -C 0 /dev/sdXY

Tested with 13.1 in a vm. Rebooting is a problem though, shutdown,
reboot, halt --reboot don't work (because systemd is not running!
WHAT A STUPID setup!), exit/ctrl-d, ends in a kernel-panic in the vm.
Haven't checked it out more now.

HTH,
-dnh

Thanks to all who responded about how to run e2fsck on (my) HDDs.

I ran e2fsck by using the 13.1 Rescue DVD.

@ David:

Using what you suggested above resulted in an error message stating that, "init=/bin/bash is not system<?d>, terminate plymouth".

@Cristian:

Booting with "systemd.unit=rescue.target" simply took me to the normal login screen.

Anyway, running e2fsck showed that there were not problems with the file systems.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.14.0 & kernel 3.16.2-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor