Re: [opensuse] Hard Disk Upgrades
On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 14:56:54 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Groves <paul.groves.787@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a 160GB 3.5" Disk for my swap and root partitions and it has a few bad
sectors. I would like to change this disk to a 2.5" 160GB Disk

I also have a 500GB 3.5" disk for my home partition that I would like to
replace with 2x1TB 2.5" in RAID1 (Mirror)

Does anyone have any advice on how I should go about upgrading my disks? I
have not had to do this in linux before and would like to get it right first
time.

All I know is that cloning the disk in the case of my root drive will not
work due to the disk ID but I cannot find a working guide on how to do this
correctly..

I have no clue what to do for the RAID. My MoBo supports RAID, should I use
this functionality or set up a software RAID with opensuse?

What are the steps to replace a disk in a mirror if one was to fail? Is it a
simple process like on my FreeNAS?

I am using 13.1

I won't comment on the raid questions as I don't have knowledge there.

That said, how are the disks mounted in /etc/fstab? If by UUID then you will
probably need to re-install OS on the new drives and reload your data (you did
back that up right?).

Replacing a drive is MUCH easier if /etc/fstab mounts by "label" then you can
temporarily mount both drives with the new drive having a different label
during this phase. Then just do a forced copy (cp -af /src /dest), remove the
old drive, and rename the new drive label to what the old drive had. (You did
backup just in case, right?).

Drives can be "labeled" with either es2fsck or parted. See man pages for usage
of either.

Tom

--
Life takes on meaning when you become motivated, set goals and charge after them
in an unstoppable manner.

^^^^
Tom Taylor KG7CFC
openSUSE 13.1 (64-bit), Kernel 3.11.6-4-default,
KDE 4.11.2, AMD Phenom X4 955, GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Nvidia 337.19)
16GB RAM -- 3x1.5TB sata2 -- 128GB-SSD
FF 27.0, claws-mail 3.10.0
registered linux user 263467