Re: [opensuse] Hard Disk Upgrades
El 10/09/14 a las #4, Paul Groves escribió:
I have a 160GB 3.5" Disk for my swap and root partitions and it has a few bad
sectors. I would like to change this disk to a 2.5" 160GB Disk

I also have a 500GB 3.5" disk for my home partition that I would like to
replace with 2x1TB 2.5" in RAID1 (Mirror)

Does anyone have any advice on how I should go about upgrading my disks? I
have not had to do this in linux before and would like to get it right first
time.

Shortest path: backup data, reinstall everything, restore backup.

All I know is that cloning the disk in the case of my root drive will not
work
due to the disk ID but I cannot find a working guide on how to do this
correctly..

My MoBo supports RAID, should I use
this functionality or set up a software RAID with opensuse?

Unless you are using a very high end motherboard..the answer to that
question is no. Most if not all "fakeraids" included with consumer-level
motherboards are of horrendous quality.

What are the steps to replace a disk in a mirror if one was to fail? Is it a
simple process like on my FreeNAS?

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Reconstruction

--
Cristian
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to