Re: [opensuse] Hard Disk Upgrades
On 9/10/2014 2:56 PM, Paul Groves wrote:
I have a 160GB 3.5" Disk for my swap and root partitions and it has a few bad
sectors. I would like to change this disk to a 2.5" 160GB Disk

I also have a 500GB 3.5" disk for my home partition that I would like to
replace with 2x1TB 2.5" in RAID1 (Mirror)

Does anyone have any advice on how I should go about upgrading my disks? I
have not had to do this in linux before and would like to get it right first
time.

All I know is that cloning the disk in the case of my root drive will not
work
due to the disk ID but I cannot find a working guide on how to do this
correctly..

I have no clue what to do for the RAID. My MoBo supports RAID, should I use
this functionality or set up a software RAID with opensuse?

What are the steps to replace a disk in a mirror if one was to fail? Is it a
simple process like on my FreeNAS?

I am using 13.1

I just went through this with my laptop, which developed bad sectors.
I had an external 2.5" inch enclosure (usb2/3). After asking the advice
on the list and getting many suggestions.

I decided to use Clonzilla running from a CDRom.
It offered to clone and resize the partitions to use the whole
drive (new drive was bigger). I chose the conservative way of
just cloning, leaving un-partitioned space available space at the
end of the new drive for when I next install.

There was a setting in Clonezilla to be aggressive in trying to
recover the bad sectors. I believe it got everything, because
I knew these bad sectors were right in the middle of a Virtual
machine image file, and that VM came up just fine after the move.

Recap:
Left bad drive in machine.
But new drive in external enclosure.
Cloned from internal to external aggressive recovery mode.

Warning: When you put in the new drive, it will not (maynot) boot because of
the
way Opensuse typically uses device names for naming boot partitions in grub
menu.lst
and also in fstab. You will have to hand edit those two files on the NEW drive
either before or after you put it into the machine as the boot drive.

See:
http://diggerpage.blogspot.com/2011/11/cannot-boot-opensuse-12-after-cloning.html
You get the drive names from

There are a lot of different ways to do this, but this worked and wasn't more
than mildly painful.