Re: [opensuse] Hard Disk Upgrades
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 18:05:52 -0400
On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Paul Groves <paul.groves.787@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have no clue what to do for the RAID. My MoBo supports RAID, should I use
this functionality or set up a software RAID with opensuse?

That's the first thing you need to decide.

Is your MoBo raid real hardware raid or fake raid?

http://serverfault.com/questions/9244/how-do-i-differentiate-fake-raid-from-real-raid

If fake raid, I would ONLY use it if I needed to be windows
compatible. ie. You need to setup a dual boot windows/opensuse setup.

Otherwise, if fake raid I would use pure software raid instead.

If true hardware raid then I would leverage that.

I think the other answers will depend on this one.

Greg

--
Greg Freemyer