[opensuse] Pulse/Alsa compression, equalizer, limiter

Google has not been my friend on this topic, unless I'm running Ubuntu,
which I am not. I am running openSuSE 12.3.

Can anyone point to a 12.3-friendly way to get a compressor and equalizer
going? A limiter if such exists would be great too.

Preferably one which can be handled via alsamixer or similar, as I do
not generally run the KDE or gnome environments/apps.

I *think* I'm looking for a SuSE 12.3-friendly way of doing:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/31580/is-there-a-way-of-leveling-compressing-the-sound-system-wide

Many thanks.

Michael
--