Re: [opensuse] When connecting to my own dovecot server, Alpine complains that it is using self-signed certificates.
On 2014-09-01 19:38, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

What I need now is to create a "Certificate Signing Request" from the
already existing dovecot server certificate, or create a new dovecot
certificate together with the corresponding CSR.

I go thru that everytime I install a new HP server. The certificate is
issued by a card on the server (ILO card). I then sign it:

openssl ca -policy policy_anything -days 3650 -in server-ilo.csr -out
server-ilo.crt

Not that.

Apparently I have to do something like this:

openssl req -new -keyout server.key -out server.csr

But that creates the key anew. I would have to find a concoction that
given the existing server.key generates the server.csr. I need to
produce the server.csr. I don't have it. What I have is
/etc/ssl/dovecot.pem and /etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem.

Alternatively I run again the /usr/share/doc/packages/dovecot/mkcert.sh
script changing it appropriately so that it also generates a dovecot.csr
file. The current code is this:

$OPENSSL req -new -x509 -nodes -config $OPENSSLCONFIG \
-out $CERTFILE -keyout $KEYFILE -days 365 || exit 2
chmod 0600 $KEYFILE
echo
$OPENSSL x509 -subject -fingerprint -noout -in $CERTFILE || exit 2

YaST does a lot of things with these certificates, but this is NOT
documented.

I know you're keen on working it with YaST, but personally I wouldn't
bother. It's an area that is unlikely (IMHO) to have received much if
any testing.

I think it is used on the SLES side.

I have found the documentation in paper for SLES, though. Expensive
paper.

Huh? You probably don't need to buy SLES just to use the
documentation :-)

No, I mean that it is documented on paper by third parties... not that
you have to buy SLES to run it. The code is apparently the same on
openSUSE, just that this YaST functionality is not explained on the
available free documentation, perhaps on purpose.

You can see some pages of it in the link I posted, the book is good.
Some pages are missing, intentionally.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >