[opensuse] progs failing due to followign manpage. (dbus-launch)
Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2014-03-29 07:01, Linda Walsh wrote:
There is a related post in the forum, from yesterday, talking about
getting emacs to work remotely:

View this thread: <http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=495973>

The suggestion is to use:
for f in $(dbus-launch); do echo $f; export $f; done
on the remote session, I understand.

But in my case, both emacs and meld work remotely. You can try to see if
it makes a difference for you... If not, I suggest I ask on that forum
thread ;-)
----
That's sorta what I had....
I tried to follow the manpage for dbus-launch...
Gotta love this -- usually people have problems for not reading the docs...
This seems to be a case of the opposite.....

## test for an existing bus daemon, just to be safe
if test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" ; then
## if not found, launch a new one
eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax`
echo "D-Bus per-session daemon address is: $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS"
fi

Thing is, If I logged in from a machine that already had DBUS setup,
those vars woudl be exported to the remote session -- which was what we were
seeing -- the idea being that your session is on the local machine and you want
the remote stuff to run in your local session, so when remote program says
'bring up browser to (url:page_help)' it brings up the browser on your
local machine with the correct address. Same with 'email' and
other resources.

What I do by deleting the DBUS settings from my .bashrc is (from dbus-launch):

If DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is not set for a process that tries to use
D-Bus, by default the process will attempt to invoke dbus-launch with
the --autolaunch option to start up a new session bus or find the
existing bus address on the X display or in a file in
~/.dbus/session-bus/

Whenever an autolaunch occurs, the application that had to start a new
bus will be in its own little world; it can effectively end up starting
a whole new session if it tries to use a lot of bus services. This can
be suboptimal or even totally broken, depending on the app and what it
tries to do.

There are two common reasons for autolaunch. One is ssh to a remote
machine. The ideal fix for that would be forwarding of
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS in the same way that DISPLAY is forwarded. In
the meantime, you can edit the session.conf config file to have your
session bus listen on TCP, and manually set DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS,
if you like.

^^^^ that's why I had the tcp in my forwardeed address. I had it set to listen,
but it wasn't working.

The second reason has to do with being able to 'su' to another user (like root)
and still have the su'd settings routed correctly, but apparently, that part
is not done yet (I'm so glad we are using complete and tested solutions--NOT)

It's in trying to follow the documentation that I've been getting into trouble.