Re: [opensuse] Backup .. restore ... access/ownership - bit rot
Le 30/03/2014 17:16, Carl Hartung a écrit :

be backing it up. IOW, frequent and redundant backups -- serving both
archival and operational needs -- is for all practical purposes the
only defense.

redundency is the key, but do not think you wont ever loose data :-(. Be prepared said young boys once :-)

my last recent example is using unison (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/) in goal of having real udentical disks (with two work location and a shuttle disk).

I ended with two disks full of zero size files!!! happy I had a redundency third copy :-)

probable reason (?) the new hard drive was failing after one week use :-(. But it's not the first time I experienced that, and it's really dangerous: is some part of your disk fails silently you may well have copied each time the zeroed file!!

good dvd or Blu-Ray can't be zeroed by software :-) - but they can by other mean, randomly

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.org