Re: [opensuse] Backup .. restore ... access/ownership
On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 09:41:20 -0400
James Knott wrote:

Carl Hartung wrote:
I just back up to a hard drive with cp -a, which works fine. The
attributes are preserved and I can easily mount the drive to
access all the files.
I use rsync for basically the same reason but my objective is to be
able to install the replacement drive and be up and running again
in a matter of minutes.

When copying to an empty partition, rsync provides no advantage over
cp -a.

I understand, but emptying a partition only to run a more current
snapshot is -- at the very least -- highly inefficient.

Amongst my backup drives is one that is kept as a literal drop-in
replacement. When the original needs to be taken out of service, I just
drop in the replacement and I'm up and running in a matter of minutes.
rsync makes this possible.