Re: [opensuse] Backup .. restore ... access/ownership
Carl Hartung wrote:
Ah, of course ... thanks for reminding us, Carlos. It's been several
years since I last did any serious backups to CD/DVD so I guess I'd
forgotten. That being said, I seem to recall also compressing first to
reduce the number of disks I was burning and this, coincidentally, also
served to preserve the attributes.

This is getting all too complex. Mebe we should go back to 9 track
tapes and use tar the way it was intended. ;-)

I just back up to a hard drive with cp -a, which works fine. The
attributes are preserved and I can easily mount the drive to access all
the files.