Re: [opensuse] Backup .. restore ... access/ownership
On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 18:01:26 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2014-03-29 12:46, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 03/28/2014 10:28 PM, Carl Hartung wrote:

First, I don't think the original filesystem type is at play. I
think the backup media being ROM is what caused the files to be
marked read-only as they were written.

I'm compelled by the evidence to agree with you on this point.

See the test I just posted - from the cd:

├── [-rw-r--r-- cer2 users 0] pePE
├── [-rw-r--r-- cer users 0] pepe
├── [-rw-r--r-- cer users 0] pepe.
├── [-rw------- cer users 0] pepe2

They are "rw", and different users. And I used root to mount the CD.

This makes perfect sense because that's how the files were written
during your test, where you specified 'backup' mode to preserve those
attributes. I believe the 'norm' (not backup mode) causes files to be
properly marked as read-only on read-only media.